The EMPLOYERS’ HOUSE
The Employers’ House, the residence of the Estonian Employers' Confederation, is located on Toompea hill in Tallinn. Toompea hill forms a part of the historical Medieval Old Town and is also the residence of Estonia’s parliament. The Employers’ House can be found behind the Toomkirik (Dome Church) at 6 Kiriku Street.
This late Baroque building from the 17th century, built on Medieval Tallinn city wall, is ideally suited for seminars and formal receptions.
Highly presentable Peter’s Hall on the first floor and its hall-vestibule are suitable for both work meetings and formal receptions.
Peter’s Hall seats 60 people in theatre style and 30 on a round table. We have a range of presentation equipment available. Coffee breaks can be served in the antechamber and there is a number of high-quality restaurants in the vicinity should you require lunch.
For a reception with a buffet, Peter’s Hall and its antechamber can accommodate up to 100 people.
To discuss room hire, please contact +372 699 9301, +372 699 9309
History and architecture of the Employers’ House
Occupants through times
From 1811 the house at 6 Kiriku Street belonged to a family of German nobility, the Stackelbergs. Its last owner was baroness Anna von Stackelberg. Before the WW II, the then German government appointed Mr Valtried Siirak as the landlord of the house. The family of Anna von Stackelberg had moved to Germany following Hitler’s call to all Germans to repatriate.
During the early years of the Republic of Estonia there were also four apartments in the house. In 1918, one of these apartments was inhabited by the great Estonian political figure Jaan Tõnisson. In 1924 the Lithuanian Embassy moved in. From 1929 to 1938 the building was shared between the Lithuanian and Czechoslovakian Ambassadors. During the WW II, the Directorate of Economy (Die Wirtschaftsdirektorium) moved in.
In 1945 the building was allocated to the Ministry of Food Industry, then in 1957 to the Ministry of Trade, which in 1993 was reorganised into the Ministry of Economic Affairs of the Republic of Estonia.
The basement area was renovated on the initiative of the then trade minister Kuno Todesson. In 1974 the Economic History Museum was founded and it has been housed in parts of the building ever since.
The two-storey building with a high hipped roof on 6 Kiriku Street, at the north-west corner of Toompea hill, is an aristocratic dwelling with a unique late Baroque interior. The house was built on the site of an earlier single storey dwelling which was left untouched by a great fire in 1684 and had a round tower-like construction projected from its front facade. The cross vaulted cellars have been built on natural lime stone base and may originate from 16th−17th century. On the western side of the plot there was a narrow outbuilding already in the 17th century, probably a stable and a coach house.
The layout of rooms inside is symmetrical and identical on both floors, which is characteristic for the Baroque style. Reception areas are situated at the north side of the house. In the middle of both floors, running through the house, is a formal hall-vestibule divided into two open halves with round columns; at the back end of which probably used to be a formal staircase. The so called Peter's Hall displays a large portrait painting of Peter I (copy of L. Caravague’s painting from 1723), which was renovated in 1976−1977 and 1996−1997. The majority of double doors and nine white glazed tile stoves are originals from the second half of the 19th century. In the reception rooms there are six bronze chandeliers with crystal pendants, Gustav Becker’s grandfather clock, two new-Empire style mirrors and four wall lights – all from the beginning of the 20th century.
On 21st October 1998 the building was signed over to the Estonian Employers’ Confederation by a government protocol. In addition to the Confederation, several trade associations moved in as well and thus the building became to be known as “The Employers’ House”.